I had a good conversation with friends today. When did politic change from electing representatives to “represent” our views and interests, to now electing people who think they have political capital to pass laws while ignoring the priorities of their constituents.
Seriously, through Facebook, Twitter, Pintrest, Instagram, … I can’t avoid learning the most intimate detail about the lives of friends and strangers alike. But we haven’t figured out how to use social media to communicate our instructions to the Elected Officials?
How did we let the failure of private enterprise to provide services catered to our needs progress into extreme Democratic views that it’s solely the government’s responsibility to give everyone an equal playing field, resulting in a safety blanket and handout for all?
And why do we allow Republican ideals of social networks to provide community support individuals need, to convince us that the government cannot effectively provide these services. Have you heard about health care in Canada? Compared to the US where individuals have to fight for profit health insurance companies to get the services they are rightfully owed?
The wealthy are using both systems to manipulate the US population (the Americas are comprised of 20 countries across North, South, and Central America).
- They tell us government programs are inefficient so that they can create a private enterprise that will make a profit and may or may not be a useful service. But they make it work for the Congressional benefits.
- They convince of trickle down economics.
- The only way for non-wealthy people to hold anyone accountable for their behavior and the effectiveness of their goods/services sold is to spend a fortune in legal fees (that they don’t have).
- They convinced us to eliminate institutions for the mentally ill, who now end up in correctional facilities with no rights to seek treatment they need.
- Conditions are even worse in detention centers for illegal immigrants, Amnesty International and others have shown the human rights abuses that occur in these centers, often held by private corporations.
- The wealthy have learned when they can make extra profits, such as non-bid government contracts that no one is complaining about!
How might our costs for welfare, Medicaid, and criminal justice be reduced if we improve education and opportunities to decent paying jobs (where someone can pay for housing, food, and health care in their community)?
We’re all connected throughout society. I did not learn to read and write on my own, I did not invent my own internet technology or small pox vaccine, all of which helped me get to where I am today. We can’t act as if we accomplish everything on our own. We also can’t act as if people aren’t responsible for their own actions, however corrective repercussions will help society more than punishments. This Radiolab show about Blame explains how our understanding of the causes of behavior is improving our ability to respond to behavior.