All kids are amazing… they have an open mind to create and invent ideas that adults lack the freedom of thought to create. Everyone has their own individual talent and skill-set. Kids have just as much, or more ability to develop a solution and create change. Kids with the right support and opportunity have accomplished amazing things, such as:
- Pennies for Peace a school based program where kids save pennies to donate around the world.
- An 8 year old invents an easier, healthier way to cook bacon, info here.
- In the 1920’sa 14 year old invented a type of television.
- High School Freshman invents a cheap and fast way to detect Pancreatic Cancer.
- Mary Kriegar creates an anonymous charity for kids to give back to others.
- 9-Year old comments on the lack of realism in the board game Life.
- Odyssey of the Mind is an international program for kids to compete in problem solving.
- A kids news program Dragonfly on TV covers all kinds of science topics.
- Learn from Adora Svitak what we can all learn from kids
I don’t understand why adults insist on treating children like children. We take away the best opportunity for learning and development and surround them with nonsense and egotistical, fame seeking idols.
In addition to recognizing and encouraging the strengths in each child, we should also be focused on development of other necessary skills that are not as natural to each individual, such as: