If you plan to visit Boston, check out this info below. I will add details as I discover new information and places.
The top annual events for Boston:
- New Years Eve – First Night has tons of performances around the city. You can also enjoy Ice Sculptures on the Boston Common and Fireworks at 7:00 for families and midnight for all
- Evacuation Day (same day as St. Patrick’s Day) – In Boston only, it’s really just and excuse to take a holiday on St. Patty’s day. The Irish community here loves to celebrate this holiday. Visit South Boston “Southie” for the parade and for the bars packed with people. There are many Irish pubs and bars in the area that will also celebrate and often have live music.
- Patriots Day (Third Monday in April) – this Massachusetts and Maine only holiday, which commemorates the start of the US Revolution. But people in Boston just know that it’s Marathon Monday. Hope it doesn’t snow.
- 4th of July – Is a big event here. My advice, see the Boston Pops practice night on 3 July at the Esplanade, then hang out on Memorial Drive for the best view of the Fireworks show on 4 July.
- Plenty of fun events occur throughout the summer, many of them are free and many are great for families.
- October – Salem celebrates Halloween for most of this month
Things to Do:
Boston is a very walkable city, it’s not very big, and there aren’t many hills
- Walk the Freedom Trail and learn the history of the Revolution including Paul Revere, Sam Adams
- Explore the Boston Common, the Boston Garden, and the Esplanade along the River, Emerald Necklace, Rose Kennedy Greenway, Arnold Arboretum (with a Lilac Festival in April), Boston Harbor Islands
- Museum of: Fine Arts, Contemporary Arts, Sculpture Garden, Unusual Art, Children’s Discovery, Cultural Art, Science, JFK Library
- Make Way for Ducklings Statues,
- Cheers, Sam Adams Brewery Tour,
- Italian food in the North End
- Sailing Tours in the Boston Harbor, Whale Watching Tours
- Rowing races on the Charles River include Head of the Charles in October, Run of the Charles in April, Dragon Boats in June
- Spend some time at the Beach at the North Shore, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket, or the North Shore
- Salem has historic houses, the Witch Museum, and is many costume parties in October
- Listen to Live Music in Cambridge at: Club Passim, Middle East, Lizard Lounge, Johhny D’s, Rhyles, Sculler’s Jazz Club
- Hahvahd University Tour (starts at Harvard Sq.)
- Walk around MIT campus
- Haymarket Outdoor Market
- Swing Dancing opportunities are all posted on this calendar.
- Clam Chowdah (Bostonians do no pronounce the r – Pahk the Cah) at Legal Seafoods
- Italian food in the North End
- Irish food at local pubs
- Breakfast at Geoffrey’s Cafe
- Seafood in Gloucester (pronounced Gloss-ter)
- Eat at at Bookstore Cafe called Trident
- Chocolate Brunch at the Langham Hotel
- Dim Sum in Chinatown
For the Thrill of It:
- Monster Mini Golf
- Indoor go cart racing at F! Boston
- Corn Maze in the Fall, Davis Maze always has an interesting design
- Apple Picking in the Fall
- Walk, Bike Ride, Rollar Blade along Memorial Drive by the Charles River each Sunday throughout the summer.
From the Local’s Point of View:
To understand the feel of the people here, try volunteering. You can find ideas of volunteer activities on the website for Boston Cares, and then you will have to contact the agency directly to arrange your service since it’s not reasonable to join the group for a short time of volunteering.
Festivals and Music Events – Many are free to attend
- February – ArtsEmerson The Next Thing performance festival
- April – Independent Film Festival
- April – International Film Festival
- April – Run of the Charles canoe and kayak races
- April/May – Lilac Festival at the Arnold Arboretum
- May – Mayfair around Harvard Square in Cambridge
- May – Street Performer Festival at Faniuel Hall
- June – Dragon Boat Festival
- Summer – Boston Harbor Hotel’s Summer Series includes Swing, Country, Soul, and Blues Music, and classic movies on Fridays.
- Summer – Family Movies at the Hatch Shell on Fridays
- July – Outside the Box performance festival
- September – Film Festival
- Late September – Life is Good Festival includes many musical performances, games, etc.
- October – Head of the Charles crew race