Did you know you could save hundreds of dollars on your car insurance? There are many savings categories that you may be eligible for. some of these are automatically applied when you request insurance, but some of these are not well known and you have to request for the discount if applicable. I just asked my auto insurance company for a discount because I don’t drive many miles each year, less than 8,000.
List of Discounts/Credits to ask about:
- Safety items like seatbelts and airbags
- Monthly pass for public transit
- Low Mileage (threshold may vary by insurer or by savings)
- AAA membership
- Driving Record
- Anti-Theft device
- Parking in a Garage (didn’t work for me)
- Defensive Driver Training
- Single payment – Insurance companies now charge a monthly fee if you are making monthly payments.
- Credit Ratings are also a factor in your insurance rate.
- Students with Good Grades
- Anti Lock Breaks
- Hybrid or Eco-friendly vehicles
- Daytime running lights
- US Military members
- Occupation or Level of Higher Education
- Federal Employee
Other things to know:
- Does your auto insurance cover you in a rental car?
- Does your auto insurance cover the cost of a rental car when your vehicle is being repaired?
- Does my policy cover me if I’m affected by an uninsured driver?
- Do I need collision/comprehensive coverage? Maybe not on older vehicles.